Wednesday, 18 June 2014
General Safety Basic Notes for New Safety Professionals..
TEN BASIC SAFETY RULES
1. Do not take chances; if you do not know, ASK.
2. Correct or report unsafe conditions.
3. Help keep the
jobsite clean and orderly.
4. Use the right tools and equipment for the job.
5. Report all injuries immediately to your supervisor no matter how minor.
Get first aid treatment, if necessary.
6. Use, adjust and repair equipment only when authorized.
7. Use personal protective equipment. Wear safe clothing. Keep items in good condition.
8. No horseplay. Avoid distracting others.
9. When lifting, bend your knees. Get help for heavy loads.
10. Comply with all safety rules and signs.
1. HSE Objectives
1. To implement Descon & the client HSE Policy.
2. No accident / incident.
3. Target is “Zero LTI “. (Lost Time Injury).
4. No property damage.
5. No environmental damage.
6. HSE awareness and motivation.
7. HSE training.
8. Competent work force.
9. Address HSE concern.
1 0. Motivate good safety & environment performance.
11. Monitor to improve HSE.
2. Heat stress and its preventions.
2. Regular Toolbox Talks
3. Elevated Temperature & Humidity
4. Refer to First Aid Post Immediately
5. Cold Water near Work Place
6. Shaded areas for rest periods
7. First Aid Arrangement for dehydration
8. Sweating generally stops, skin
become red, very small pupils, elevated body temperature.
9. Give nothing by mouth.
10. Seek medical attention.
11. Tilt the head and lift chin.
12. Look, listen and feel breathing.
13. If no breathing, send for medical help and start rescue breathing, by pinching the nostrils (while maintaining head-lilt) give two full breaths.
3. Mobile Cranes — Lifting Principles
1. Center of gravity
4. Structural Integrity
1. No Crane is allowed to work without Certificate by third party certification.
2. Operator with Valid Operating License.
3. Load Chart displayed inside the Operator’s Cabin.
4. Heavy Lifting under Rigging Superintendent.
5. No entry of Cranes in Restricted Area.
6. A Fire Extinguisher available with each Crane.
7. With a valid PTW (Permit to Work) to work
8 Cranes not to be used for Transportation of Person.
9. Clear Fingers & Toes during Tensioning the Sling & Landing Loads.
10. Banks man presence during movement at project site
11. Only One authorized person to Signal the Crane Operator during load Hoisting.
12. No personal movement under Hanging Load.
13. Usage of Tagline to guide the Load.
Load to be taken smoothly.
15. Loads not to Drag or Pull sideways
16. Slings & Lifting Gear with Safe Working Load Marked.
17. Wire rope slings & Flat Belt slings are commonly used.
1 8. Never exceed Safe Working Load.
19. Don’t Shock loads.
20. Quarterly Inspection and Color Coding.
21. Store away from extreme of Heat, Cold, Dampness and mechanical damage.
22. The Hooks
being used shall either be fitted with a safety catch or be of the design that
Loads applied on the bed of the hook.
24. Visual Inspection of Hooks for Cracks or Spreading should be done as under the rules..
25. Shackles of proper size for connections slinging.
26. Correct pins to be used for each Shackle.
27. Never use Rebar, M.S.
Bolt etc. as replacement for Shackle pins.
28. Protect Lifting Gears from Sharp Edges & corners.
5. Rigger Crane Hand Signals
1. Start operation
2. Jib up
4. Jib down
5. Emergency stop
6. Extend Jib
8. Retract Jib
10. Travel to me
11. Lower slowly
12. Travel from me
14. Travel right
16. Travel left
17. Operation Cease
6. Crane Hazards:
1. Improper load rating
2. Excessive speed
lack of follow up in hands signal
4. Inadequate inspection and maintenance
5, Unguarded parts
6. Unguarded swing radius
to close to power lines
8. Improper exhaust system
9. Shattered windows
10. No steps taken to avoid contact with
guardrails & walkways during load hoisting
11. No boom angle indicator
12. Slackness in use of outriggers before job execution.
7. Major causes of Crane Accidents
1. Contact with power Lines
4. Mechanical failures
5 Rigger communication.
8. Electrical safety, electrocution prevention, short circuiting?
1. Don’t overload electric circuits
2. Earth leakage circuit breakers must be installed
3. All cables, joints properly Insulated as per standard
4. Use plug for sockets
5. Use proper cable
witht the max rated current
6. Don’t Temper with Electric Appliances
7. Be aware of Main Switch Board
8. Switch off Electrical Machines before leaving your Office / work Site
9. Call Electrician for Electrical jobs
Permit to Work where required
Use Circuit Breakers as per requirement
12. No cable in passage/ ways
9. Precautions during pressure testing.
2. Warning signs
3. Follow the Pressure Test Procedure
4. Draining of test fluid safely
5. Filling from lowest point with the open vent valve.
6. Pressure indicators previously calibrated
10. Legal compliance and HSE. Relevant requirements of act & regulations
2. Sweeping of
3. White washes at least once in every four months
4. Cleaning record keeping
5. Fresh air supply
6. Dust and fumes
7. Effective measures to prevent its accumulation and inhalation.
8. Every stationary internal combustion engine will have an exhaust conducted in the open air.
10. Proper lighting, artificial or natural or both.
11. Provision of emergency lighting of special points in work rooms and passages.
12. Provision of suitable points for clean drinking water.
13. Provision of clean and sufficient number of latrines and urinals.
14. Every part of cranes and other lifting equipment shall be of good
construction sound materials and adequate strength and properly maintained.
15. To provide
limit switches to prevent overrunning.
16. The maximum safe working load should be marked on every hoist or lift.
17. Provision of the gates with on an interlocking system to every hoist or lift used for carrying persons.
11. Self contained breathing apparatus.
1. Take care of breathing objective is to open the airway and thus restores the breathing by mouth to mouth resuscitation.
2. Place in comfortable position.
3. Get medical help.
4. Monitor vital signs.
5. Perform CPR (Continues personnel resuscitation), if possible by a qualified person.
12. Compressed air safety
1. Don't direct compressed Air on the body.
2. Air Receivers individually identified and Marked with their Safe working Pressure.
3. All Air receivers fitted with a properly set pressure Relief Valve.
4. Air Receivers / compressors examined and certified.
5. Whip checks to be installed.
13. Reporting of emergency during emergency response.
1. Inform the control office / Emergency No. / Nearest office.
2. Complete information about
your self and incident.
3. Location of accident.
4. Nature of accident.
13. Safety aspects of Welding & Burning Activities,
1. Hot work Permit for Welding and Cutting Jobs
2. Personnel trained.
3. Away from combustible materials
4. Fire extinguishers
5. Fire Watchers mandatory
6. Flammable Liquids Storage kept at
7. Self-closing Nozzles for Fueling normally equipped with
flash back arrestors
8. Never Fueling with Running Engine
Gen set at rest during Refueling
10. Scaffold Boards Swept & Free of Flammable Materials.
11. Battery Recharging in ventilated separate areas with no smoking Signs & Fire Extinguisher.
12. Fuel Storage at Designated Area
13. Fire Equipment at prominent Locations.
Dont Temper with Fire Equipment.
15. Security Patrol Regularly.
14. Precaution on excavation.
1. Identify underground electrical cables and utilities.
2. Hand excavations where “Live” services are present.
4. Banks man to control
trucks etc removing soil.
5. Working machinery minimum 5 meters away.
6. Soil minimum 1 meter away from excavation edge.
7. Shoring if required.
15. Hazardous Substances.
I. Flammable, toxic, corrosive & irritant.
2. On site after approval of the costumer.
3. Copy of MSDS. (Material Safety Data Sheet)
4. Storage as per MSDS and approval of costumer,
5. Keep minimum stock.
6. Securely locked or fence off
7. Warning & No smoking notices at storage.
8. Fire fighting nearby stores.
9. Secure in appropriate containers.
10. Clearly identify.
11. Replace containers Lid immediately.
containers disposal as per procedure.
13. Keep separate from normal waste.
14. Never discharge onto the ground / into water drains.
16. Discipline for unethical acts
2. Practical Jokes
5. Disciplinary action
17. Working at night..
1. Emphasis to plan to eliminate the need for night working.
2. Adequate lighting for work.
3. All exits, pathways, muster point clearly illuminated.
4. Adequate ventilation for work.
5. Lighting in confined spaces as per specs adequate barricading.
6. No work under shadow.
18. Types of reporting & investigation at construction site.
2. Lost time injury
3. Restricted work injury
4. Medical treatment injury
5. First injury
8. Root causes identification
9. Incident analysis
19. HSE Emergency Response
1. Follow alarm system
2. Stop the work at once
3, Switch off the equipment
4. Vacate the work place
5. Muster at the muster point
6. Permit to be re validated
Head count by SUPS
8. All clear
Prepared By M